« Home | Spring Flowers (Pictures) » | Cheapskates » | Love... » | 'A Salad of All Topics' » | I had a dream... » | Reflection » | No Baking this weekend! » | A.V. » | Surprise surprise! » | What a way to start Monday »

An adventure with the yeast (part II)

Procrastination is my middle name. This post is supposed to be up last weekend but I caught the procrastination bug.

My second adventure with the yeast last week. The first adventure was about three weeks ago. This time, I doubled the recipe and I did a slight modification to it. Huge mistake it was. I shouldn't have doubled the recipe at all! I was pretty disappointed. I spent the whole night in the kitchen, cursing myself for this mistake. I shall have the third attempt again in the not-so-near future.

Here is the recipe (1 portion):

You'll need:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
1/2 tbsp yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water

1 cup lukewarm water ( I substituted with 1 cup milk)
2 tbsp butter, softened
3-1/2 cup bread flour (sifted)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten

Glaze:
1 egg (I used the egg yolk only)
3 tbsp milk

Mix yeast with 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Leave until the yeast mixture gets foamy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I used a fast action yeast, therefore it took like 5 minutes or so. I think normal yeast takes slightly longer.

Dissolve butter in 1 cup lukewarm water.

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.

Add in butter mixture.

Add in yeast mixture.

Leave it to rise for about 1-2 hours (until double in size). Cover with damp cloth.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I doubled the portion hence this size. Expect half of the size if you follow the recipe.

At the mean time, prepare the fillings. I used sardine, frankfurters, peanut butter, chocolate, jam as fillings.

After the dough has risen, knead it on a slightly floured surface. Shape it according to your liking.

Glaze the dough.

Bake at 200'C for about 15-20 minutes or until it's golden brown.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Before they went into the oven

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ready for a feast?

Happy bread making!