« Home | Dumplings » | Can I get the best of both, please? » | Joke » | Parcel from Japan » | When I was a kid » | Love, Me » | Big Fat Liar In The Making » | First Day Of School » | Of how I embarrassed myself in Boots » | Life After Exams »

A quiet CNY

My third Chinese New Year away from home.

I just came back from a 'reunion dinner' with my housemate and I. Just the two of us. We had Chinese buffet in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesea. I can say that this dinner is the worse Chinese I've ever eaten in my whole life. The starter was pretty alright but the main course were horrible. I think I can cook better than the chef. I guess I can't expect much from a small town like this.

My other housemates decided to be anti-social by staying at home. One said she wanted to rush her lab reports and the other girl said she wasn't feeling well so that was why Cherry and I ended up having buffet. We can have more varieties. Imagine if both of us went a-la-carte. We might end up with half a crispy duck, a plate of vegetables and noodles. But with buffet, we had more choices. Too bad, the dinner sucked big time.

I don't feel the Chinese New Year spirit here. It's all quiet. It's just another Tuesday, just another Wednesday. When I was having dinner, there wasn't any chinese new year songs. Instead, they played English oldies. I would be content if they played songs by Jacky Cheong or even Anita Mui.

I miss home. Called home twice today. I managed to talk to my family but didn't manage to catch my relatives. They have just left when I called. I guess I'll stay up late tonight to call them. Tomorrow, my parents are having an open house for around 200 people. The cook? My mom! =) She's SuperMom! I wish I can be home right now. I really miss having 'Heng-hua mee sua' for breakfast on the first day of CNY. Mom says it signifies long life so that's why we have that on the first day of CNY. I miss seeing my friends whom I only meet once a year. They only go to KB on Chinese New Year. I miss seeing all my classmates. I miss everything about Chinese New Year.

每逢佳节倍思亲- it's so right. I miss home every festival. Be it Chinese New Year or Moon cake festival, I miss home even more.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make it for next year's Chinese New Year. Fingers crossed.

Have a prosperous Chinese New Year everyone!