« Home | So This Is It! » | Something to Share » | Chant With Me! » | Let's Do The Monkey Dance Babeh! » | E.N.G.L.A.N.D » | You Belong To Me » | Daddy and Me » | -_- » | English Accents » | Yet another post filler »

Jobs jobs jobs

Before and during my exams, my parents and I occassionaly bring up the topic of jobs. They're keen on me staying back here and so am I. However, we didn't discuss it it depth. Before I could explain more, they said 'Concentrate on your exams first, think about that later'. So I just brushed the idea aside and never really thought about it. Even when I attended interviews and assessment days, they just asked about it and didn't really sound keen on the companies.

Then came 20 June. The final day of my exams. I was online, chatting to Mommy on MSN in the afternoon.

After asking about my paper and all, she started: So what's your plan now?

I told her my plan- try to find a job, go home for a few weeks, travel etc.

Then she told me to act fast- just 3 hours after my exams she was telling me to get a job already. Fine. I just said I'll try. You know, I know, she knows, everyone knows it's so darn difficult for international students to get a job in UK because of work permit problems.

Around midnight, I spoke to Dad. He asked me the same question again- what's my plan. The oh-so-famous question in the house now. And he told me to start job hunting now, continue with my dissertation. I told him I'm going to Scotland next month for 3 days and he got all worried. He's worried I won't complete my dissertation in time.

Everytime I talk to them, it's about jobs, jobs, jobs. Dissertation, dissertation, dissertation.

Jobs and dissertation. These two words. They are getting on my nerves now.

It's not that I don't want a job. I've been so stressed over the past months. They told me not to think about jobs first and concentrate on my papers. The next thing I know, they're telling me to quickly find a job in UK/Ireland right after my exams.

I feel like a pressure cooker now. I'm about to explode anytime. I feel like I'm getting a nervous breakdown very soon.

It so happened Miss PartyPooper was online when I was chatting with Mommy. I whined to her that my Mom's already pressuring me about getting a job. I told her I've been so tensed for the past few days and the last thing I want is extra pressure. I said I just want to relax for a few days before continuing with my job hunt which I've abandoned for the past few months. I was expecting her to console me. In the end? She told me: oh, you're just escaping from life. bla bla bla. Seriously, if I hadn't controlled my fingers, I would have typed the four-letter F word to her. But I didn't. I told her to stop pouring cold water on me.

And it doesn't help that I'm PMS-ing. I've been controlling my temper so hard. I know I'll snap and whoever the victim is, good luck to you. Miss PartyPooper might be next.

ObviouslyI'm in a foul mood now.

I hate being at this stage of life. All this while, I knew what I wanted. After SPM, I knew I wanted to do A-levels. After A-levels, I knew I wanted to go to university. I knew I wanted to come to UK/Australia. After my degree, I knew I wanted to study Masters. After Masters, I'm lost.

I don't know what I want. I don't think I'm cut out to be an accountant anymore. I was thinking of doing a conversion course to be a lawyer . But I know I can't for now. Money factor, darlings. Speech therapy? Another 3 year course. Again. Money. Obviously I can't study anymore. I need some working experience. But what can I do? Someone shed some light please.

Or maybe I should really be a housewife. A housewife with a Masters. But then again... who wants to marry me?

aww.. u poor thing..
i think ur parents just worried for u.
u know la.. how parents are especially worried about their precious child. :P
yeah .. work permit is hard to come by unless got company willing to do it for you.
good luck in ur relaxation.

take your time with finding a job. most (like me) would just go for a job in a big company, have a feel of what it's like, and then hop to something you like after having a taste of the corporate world. somehow made me appreciate the smaller setups more.

whaddya mean, no one wants to marry you? ahhh, this is where you 'advertise' yourself mah! I'm sure there'll be a line of eligible bachelors waiting for you on your doorstep.. *wink!*

Living: Thanks :)

May: If I want to work here, I have to be fast because of work permit. Deadline is in Oct/Nov I think. I'll probably start off with a big co first (if i'm lucky enough) then hop to a smaller co. After all having a big name in the CV makes life better in the future, I hope.

Post a Comment