« Home | Sunny Sunny Day » | New phone... new swell » | Pre-Raya gathering » | If only I could turn back time » | Rainy rainy night... » | My mommy says I can't speak Malaysian » | Malaysians-Italians-German get together » | Some people just don't get it » | Special thanks to... » | I've learnt something... »

Maid-less in UK

Scrubbing the kitchen's floor after dinner a few nights ago reminded me of how pampered I was to have a maid when I was at home.

At home, kakak attended to all my needs. I hardly washed the dishes. I never washed my clothes. Clothes were hand washed by kakak. In the morning, she woke us up. She made up our beds, washed the dishes, prepared meals, cleaned the house and etc. The only time I had to do house work was when kakak went back to Indonesia for about a month.

My parents employed their first maid after they got married. Since then, we never lived without a maid. Our current maid, who has been working for us for almost 4 years, is our 18th maid. Mom used to employ Thai girls as maids because their pays were low. Besides it was easier to send them back home when they wanted to. There was no paper work involved. Language wasn't a problem. Mom picked up Thai pretty fast. In fact, I learnt how to speak Thai from the maids. Then Mom realised Thai girls couldn't stay long. Every now and then, they wanted to go back home. Eventually Mom got fed up of changing maids so she decided to employ an Indonesian maid. Our first Indonesian maid worked for us for 7 years. She left us after she found out her husband was having an affair with another woman from the same kampung as her. Then came this maid and she has been working for almost 4 years.

As you can see, I've never lived without a maid. That was how spoilt I was, so are my sister and brother. We never had to clean our school shoes as kakak washed them. I never ironed my own clothes until I went to KTJ. Even in KTJ, I was still pampered. There was laundry service. Meals were prepared, although they were terrible. There were cleaners who swept and mopped the floor and also cleaned the wall fans once in a while.

Until I came to UK, I had to learn to do everything by myself. From washing my own clothes to ironing them and from cooking to washing the dishes. I can still remember how I nearly burnt my shirt because the iron was on 'high'. I didn't know how to operate the washing machine at my present house. I dyed my magnolia-coloured towel blue because I washed it together with my blue colour bedsheet and duvet at 90 Degrees celcius. There were so many things that I didn't know how to do.

Now, things have changed. Fortunately. :P After being overseas for 2 years plus, I've learnt how to be independent. I learnt it the hard way and I'm still learning. I no longer dye a magnolia colour towel blue, I know how to operate the washing machine, I no longer burn my shirts, and oh, I finally know Mom felt when she had to scrub the floor when she was a young girl because I didn't use the mop to clean the kitchen's floor. I scrubbed it with a piece of cloth!



thanks for dropping by :) i know what you mean, i did not have a maid as long as you though (4 and all gave us problems -sent em all back)and already it was quite a hell picking up after myself. chores are fun though, unclutters the mind *yeah *yeah lol. on the bf thing, the women in my household aren't exactly supportive like that, they've No-ed a lot of people i were dating..so yeah, it's weird. parents are just being parents, give ur mom some time *cheers

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment