« Home | Boring accountants? » | The cloud that I can never catch... » | Badminton tournament? » | A quiet CNY » | Dumplings » | Can I get the best of both, please? » | Joke » | Parcel from Japan » | When I was a kid » | Love, Me »

To Sir, with love

I just finished watching 30 episodes of TVB drama- Shine on you. The story is about life of high school students. It made me think about my high school life. It wasn't as as happening as the drama. My high schoo life wasn't that colourful. There's one teacher I always remember.

My form teacher when I was in Form 4 and 5.

He is a sissy. He walks like a sissy, points with his index finger like a sissy, talks like a sissy and believe it or not, during rainy days when he caught a flu bug, he would put a scarf around his neck. I'm not sure if he still does that nowadays. I'm hardly in touch with my juniors. Wearing a scarf in Malaysia when the weather is so darn hot and humid! Madness! He's famous for his nick name- Hoi Chiu (海潮) Our seniors were the ones who started calling him Hoi Chiu then the juniors followed. Our seniors said he looked like Lydia(?) Lin (林青霞).

Hoi Chiu set up rules for us:
1. We could only speak English during English lessons
2. We had to bring English dictionary
3. We must bring a story book which is at least 200 pg to read while waiting for teachers to come for class in between lessons

I was in a chinese school so our medium of speaking was obviously, mandarin. We would whisper during his class. More often than not, he would..ehem..accuse us for speaking Mandarin but we always denied, obviously. Who likes to be punished by singing songs out loud in front of the whole class, or do vampire jump around the class.

He is particularly fond of boys. I kid you not! Once, he brought his camera into class. As we did our work, he used his camera and focus on our class monitor. I happened to look up and saw what he was doing and I hissed, hoping that the class monitor would realise. When Hoi Chiu realised that his mission failed, he looked rather pissed :P.

He has a unique way of punishing students. Whenever we broke the rule, he would go.. 'Sing a song!' or 'Pick a verb'. If you pick 'sit', you would be made to sit like a Buddha. If 'read' is picked, then the student would go out from the class and read out loud. Sometimes, he would punish us a la shao lin by half squatting with both hands laid out straight in front. I remember one of my classmates brought a song book to school- just in case someone got punish, he/she could search for songs in the song book.

He wasn't the best teacher in school but he did add some spices in my high school life. Laughter is the best medicine, they say. I agree. I think I laughed most during his class when he was in a good mood. When he was in his PMS-y mood, don't even think of getting near him. He bites.

He hardly remembers me. I met him a few times when I was back home during the summer. We didn't talk much- just Hi, how are you and all those greeting stuffs. But I remember because he's one unique teacher. I still respect him for who he is.