« Home | Chilled Cheesecake » | My funny mother » | Untitled » | What Is Your Perfect Major? » | I Love This » | A Midnight Post » | Go On My Child » | Classical Music, anyone? » | Bimbo! » | Walking down memory lane »

Chocolatey Foods And Shopping Trips

in the Western Christian Calendar, Lent is the forty-day period between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. yesterday was Ash Wednesday and it marked the first day of Lent. Lent was traditionally observed through fasting, both from food and festivities, and by other acts of penance. these days, people give up something they enjoy, and often give the time or money spent on doing that to charitable purposes or organizations.

i've decided to give up all chocolatey foods and my twice-a-month shopping trips to london this Lent. i only began observing Lent when i came over here. i was brought up in the Catholic faith by my parents. when i was young and was still living at home, they made it compulsory to attend mass every Sunday and on all Holy Days of Obligation. i've not been a good girl as i've not been going to church every sunday since coming back here. but i try to every now and then not to skip. i'm not exactly a very holy person. maybe that is why i feel slightly guilty therefore i want to do some penance. and since it is Lent now, i thought it would be good if i could give up something that i enjoy and love doing.

i would say giving up chocolate is quite a generous thing for me to do. i cannot give chocolate up for good. i could definately do without it for forty days. giving up chocolate for the rest of my life would be like asking me to give up sex forever! i couldn't do that. i couldn't live without them in my life. i love them too much =) but here's the catch.. i'm not just giving up CHOCOLATES. i'm giving up ALL CHOCOLATEY foods. that means that i'm going to abstain myself from chocolate chip cookies, chocolate ice cream, chocolate fudge cake, chocolate mousse, m&m's peanuts, cadbury's fruit and nuts bar, nesquick cereal.. i shall be staying far away from any food that has chocolate in it. shites! i think this is going to be quite a challenge than i thought it would be.

i gave up chocolates, just the bars and candies, and alcohol in my first year. last year i gave up meat: chicken, lamb, pork and beef and something else maybe? i can't remember now. so this year, it'll be chocolatey foods and my shopping trips to london. i must be pretty mad to give up the two things i so love from my life! will i be able to last? will i just give up half way? we shall see...