« Home | Super Mario » | The Rose » | Quote » | Upclose and Personal With... » | Never Ever » | Chilli rules » | Signs of falling sick? » | Chocolatey Foods And Shopping Trips » | Chilled Cheesecake » | My funny mother »

Will you beat your children?

No no, I'm not a parent, yet. But those who know me well know that I would love to get my own children. A couple. Not now lah, in the future, ok? =P

I used to believe in beating the kids if they're really, really naughty. I myself grew up being caned uncountable times because I broke so many rules at home. Sure, I hated my Mom so much but eventually, I understand that it's all for my own good. At least, she made me know my boundaries. My darling little brother, who has never been caned by Mom, is quite.. um... naughty. He's rude to my sister, my cousin and our maid at home at times. He's never rude to me because I tell him off big time whenever he does that. Mom hardly scolds and never beats him because she pampers him she says it's the process of growing up. Everytime I tell Mom that he should taste the rotan, Mom says, aiyah, you and mei mei were like that also mah. Yes, Mom, we were like that but you scolded us! *blekk* Well, I digressed.

I enjoy watching Nanny 911 and Supernanny. Westerners don't believe in beating the kids. (More like they will be dealt with children services if they ever lay their hands on their kids) The children featured on the show are really horrible, terrible and vegetable! I'll slap and probably staple my child's mouth if he ever calls me 'You stupid bitch!' And on TV, a 4 year old kid shouted the exact same words at his mother because he refused to go to bed early.

One day, I suddenly realised that beating the children doesn't really solve the problems. For toddlers, I'd say one of the best ways is to reward them. Put a board on the wall in the living room or kitchen, decorate it and explain to the kids that if they are well behave, a star/heart/sticker/fish magnet etc will be put on the board and if they misbehave, then one comes down from the board. They have to behave well to earn it back. The kid cried like there's no tomorrow when one is removed from the board and this is one very effective method!

Before this, if you asked me if I'll beat my own children, I'll say yes, without any doubts. But now, I guess I've changed my mind! ;)