« Home | Video: The Little Niece » | Le Palais du Jardin » | The Waiting Game » | Jumping on the bandwagon » | I Know I'll Miss.... » | Brand New Day » | Bitter » | I Love You No More » | Horrible Customer Service » | Inspired »

British Humour

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Michael Frayn / the stage / background: shot of the ceiling
(Pictures taken using Nokia 8800)

I don't understand British humour! -_-

Despite being in this country for 4 years, I still don't understand british humour. I think the Brits have weird sense of humour. No offence!

I watched Donkeys' Years this evening. It's a comedy so it's supposed to be funny. But, I thought it was dumb. (or perhaps, I'm the dumb one :/) American comedies are way better. Think Friends. Think Everybody Loves Raymond. British Comedy? Think Little Britain. Think Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps.

Revival of Michael Frayn's Donkeys Years set at the
reunion dinner at a 'lesser college' of an 'older university' in the UK. In
Donkeys Years a number of graduates- now in their early forties and mostly in
responsible, influential positions- gather together for their reunion.
Everything starts out smoothly, their are the usual conversational greetings and
the old-boy reminiscences, but a slightly discordant note being struck by Snell,
a man of such insignificance that everyone has forgotten him, and continues to
forget him from one moment to the next. As the night goes on, however, the
college port causes behaviour surprising in those in positions of political,
academic or sprititual authority. Into the resulting bear-garden stembles Lady
Driver, the Master's wife, short-sightedly searching for the lost love of her
youth. The insignificant Snell sees in her the chance to make up for all the
opportunities of undergraduate life he missed before. http://www.thisistheatre.com/londonshows/donkeysyears.html

I was yawning most of the time during the first part of the comedy. Certain scenes were funny but most of them were lame. Seriously. The second part was slightly better. It was funnier because the actors were damn dumb. More actings, less talking. For God's sake, they graduated from Oxbridge! Aren't Oxbridge graduate supposed to be damn smart?

We sat at the dress circle (restricted view) and most of the audience were old people. -_- And they all damn layan wei.

Anyway, tonight happened to be the press night. I didn't get the performers to sign any autographs but I managed to take a picture of the author (I think) Michael Frayn. I also snapped a picture of the stage before the comedy started. The pictures didn't turn out very clear because I only had my phone and my phone doesn't have a megapixel camera.