« Home | 8 days ago... » | 对不起 » | Something I Learnt Yesterday » | The Culprit! » | Speechless » | The Conversation Last Week » | How do you like this Meme? » | Have You Eaten Your Easter Egg Yet? » | The Kepo-chi post » | The Price To Pay. »

That Crush

IRC was the cool thing in 1997. I was so addicted to IRC then and so did most of my friends and fellow schoolmates. Almost every night, I would sit in front of the computer and started chatting away. I joined this chatroom where most of my schoolmates joined as well. Basically, I was chatting to strangers who were actually my schoolmates or strangers from other schools in town. After chatting for some time, we'd arrange to meet up in school either before or after school. Occassionaly we met at the famous tuition centre.

It was back in 1997, I got to know this guy from a boy's school. I don't remember how we ended up chatting but we did. And then we started exchanging emails. We probably talked on the phone as well- I don't remember that well. Anyway, he came to my house one evening. It was either a Monday or Wednesday evening- Mum taught aerobics on both days then. He cycled to my house. We were in the living room, chatting. I remember he told me 'I like your house' and I answered 'I'm bored of it already.' Needless to say, I felt so stupid after that. -_- My piano was in the living room then. He asked if he could play the piano and I said yes. He played 'Don't cry for me Argentina'. I was impressed. Very, very impressed. He promised he'd write me the score.

And I had a crush on him since then.

He kept his promise. He came again and he brought the piano score. I don't particularly remember what happened that day. I think we just chit-chatted and he left before my parents came home.

Gradually, we lost touch. His Dad was transferred to another state and we never kept in touch. I attended the farewell dinner organised by his church and that was the last time I saw him.

That was 10 years ago.

He's one crush I always forget- really! I only remember this story because I was browsing through Friendster and came across his sister's profile.

10 years ago. I had no concept of danger. Or perhaps I could argue that my friend's friend's friend knew him. Back then, cases of cheats, rape etc because of 'internet friends' were unheard of.

10 years later, I can laugh at how naive I was. But I can't help but worried about my safety. What if.....

Hohoho, I was an IRC Junkie too! At around the same time as well, 10 years ago! WE would slap the tuna around, or kick the bot. Or just idle in there.. Such a virtual hangout place!! LOL!! And I got to meet Clare from IRC! Amazingly, we're still friends today (even if we still don't see each other for years!!).. *sigh* IRC! The Hottub...

10 years ago -- ok, probably more -- I was so into IRC too, chatting up people from across the globe. and like you, all that thing about being cautious on the internet, not knowing who you meet, etc didn't cross my mind! I think it was much safer back then than it is now.

Post a Comment