« Home | Me likeyyyy » | Happy Day » | Heart Shape Scones » | Must » | Happy Mother's Day » | The Other Half » | S is for... » | Disgusted » | You've Got Mail » | It's Spring but... »

Cooking Disasters

Perhaps I was being a lil too adventurous. And a lil lazy.

I haven't been cooking soup for a while so I decided to cook beef soup yesterday. I had a problem- I didn't know if I wanted the western style or the Asian style. I just dumped everything that came across my mind- ginger, garlic, tomato, potato, carrot, salt, pepper, malt vinegar, sesame oil and sugar. I have no idea why but I marinated the beef chunks. I guess I had too much time on my hands. I used salt, pepper, dark and light soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, oyster sauce and cumin. I like the taste of cumin. I always sprinkle cumin on meat when I grill/roast so I thought why not this time. BIG MISTAKE.

After boiling for a few hours, I tasted the soup. OMG!!!! It tasted sooooo off. It was weird. The taste of cumin was so overpowering. I panicked. I threw in more sugar, vinegar and salt and continued boiling for another few hours.

Dinner time came and I was starving. I had no choice but to have soup for dinner. Hey, it didn't taste as bad as when I first tasted it. It must be because I was too hungry. But still, that damn cumin spoiled the taste.

I made kick-ass curry trout about a week ago. Since I had salmon in my fridge, I decided to make curry salmon. I wanted my dinner to be slightly spicy so I added chilli powder. I was being lazy so I just poured the chilli out of the packet. Oooops, a little too much. But I thought I could handle. Another big mistake. Came dinner time, I was sweating because the fish was too spicy. So spicy that all I could taste was the chilli powder. Luckily I had a plate a salad and it was the saving grace of the night.

Next time, don't put cumin in the soup. And ffs, don't pour chilli powder straight out of the packet. Use a spoon goddamnit!

Tomorrow night's dinner better be good. Better luck, I hope!