« Home | Must » | Happy Mother's Day » | The Other Half » | S is for... » | Disgusted » | You've Got Mail » | It's Spring but... » | British Humour » | Video: The Little Niece » | Le Palais du Jardin »

Heart Shape Scones

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
do u want some?


I was at the verge of tearing my hair this afternoon. I spent more than 30 minutes staring at the same page and nothing registered in my brain.

I gave up and started making scones. I had wanted to make them but couldn't find time. Since the Babe is visiting today, I decided to make scones in the evening but I couldn't wait anymore.

So I took out self-raising flour, sugar, butter, milk and baking powder. Mixed everything together and let it rest for about 10 minutes.

While letting the dough to rest, I looked around for something to substitute the 5cm pastry cutter but I found nothing. Guess what I used? my heart shape cookie cutter. :P

The scones turned out to be light and fluffy. Successful!

Here's the recipe:
Homemade Scones by James Martin
225g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
pinch salt (omit if you use salted butter)
25g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
150ml milk
1 egg, beaten (for brushing)

1. Preheat the oven to 220'C (I baked at 180'C and they turned out alright)
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, add the butter and rub quickly into the flour, creating a fine breadcrumb consistency.
3. Add the milk, a little at a time, working for a smooth dough.
4. This is now best left to rest for 5-15 minutes before rolling.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until 2cm thick, Using a 5cm pastry cutter, cut the dough, using one sharp tap and not twisting the dough as you cut. Twisting the dough will result in uneven rising.
6. Once cut, the scones can be brushed with beaten egg for a shiny glaze or dusted with flour for matt finish.
7. Place the scones on a greased baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cook slightly and serve while still warm.

*I added a tsp of bicarbonate soda and added 50g raisins*

=====================================

I think The Choir Boys' Tears In Heaven has calming effect. The moment I played this song, I felt so calm and didn't feel so grumpy anymore. Too bad I downloaded this song after I baked the scones. But well, not too late, I guess. =)