« Home | URGH!! » | My first week at home » | Greetings from Kuala Terengganu » | Home Sweet Home ^^ » | Another day in Warrington » | Greetings from Warrington » | I'm back! » | 我不想 » | -blank- » | retail therapy »

Grandma

Since young, I always adress my opposite neighbour as 'mama' (grandma). I used to see her almost every evening, watering plants in front of her house. But now, I don't see her anymore. Mom told me mama is down with stroke.

So this afternoon, I brought a bowl of bird's nests which kakak steamed yesterday for mama. When I saw mama, I was so shocked! She is so skinny now. She doesn't look like the mama whom I used to see. Mama tried to tell me something but I couldn't understand. I sat down, talked to her for a bit. I just didn't know what to say. I also talked to her daughters and they told me mama's condition has improved a lot. I'm pleased to hear that. At least, she can walk with the aid of walking stick. Although it was tough, I could see she's determined to continue walking.

This is my very first time seeing a stroke patient in this condition. I feel so sorry for mama. Mama's condition is very different from what I've watched from TV shows. Mama took 8 months to be able to walk like this. As she's a righty, it was very difficult for her to use her left hand to hold spoons. She was 24 hours on diapers, according to one of her daughters. But now, she's on diapers when she goes to bed.

It's so tough for her to accept her condition because she has always been a strong lady. She has always lived alone after her husband passed away. She's an independent lady. And now, she's down with stroke, she has to depend on other people. It's not easy. That's why she chose to stay at home all day. The only time she's out from the house is when she goes to the clinic. Sigh...

I pray that Mama will get well soon.. Get well soon, Mama!

Strokes can be very debilitating. It is extremely stressful to the caregiver(s) in particular. Unfortunately, most neurological deficiencies persist after the stroke. Rehabilitation will help to a certain extent. Making her comfortable is the most logical step at this point.

Post a Comment