« Home | Let's see how rusty my chinese is... » | Escapism » | Away Mode » | I want to idle! » | Bonjour! » | Missing in Action » | Look Who's One Today! » | Telemarketers!!!!! » | Pang of guiltiness » | A string of 'sui'-ness »

Of attending graduation and Daddy feeling guilty

My mobile phone rang at 8 am when I was still in dream land. I was too lazy to reach for the phone so I decided to give me a miss but there was a voice mail. I picked it up and it was Mom, as expected. Don't ask me how I know but my gut feeling just told me Mom called.

Mom's coming in the first week of July. :) I can't wait. Then I asked about Daddy.

Mom said Dad has been very very busy these few days and she hasn't been talking to him for weeks; not because they quarreled but because Dad has been coming back at midnight due to work commitments. Daddy is particularly busy in the months of June and July.

I asked if Daddy's coming for the graduation. Mom said even Dad himself is unsure. She said that Dad will feel guilty if he can't attend my graduation. I felt so bad when Mom told me that. I told Mom to tell Daddy that if he can't make it, just forget about it. After all, it's just a graduation.

I can't believe Dad said that. I don't want him to feel guilty. If he were to come and neglected his work, I will feel even more guilty. I can't sound demanding. That's the best I can say without making Dad feeling guilty.

I've always wanted my parents to see me graduating. It has always been my dream since young. My uncle and aunt attended my cousins' graduation and they showed us the pictures. Cousin brother standing in between uncle and aunt in front of the university building. I've always wanted to take a picture like this.

But the graduation is in July. I really, really want my Dad to come. But, it will be really selfish of me if I insisted Dad to come. Work is more important. What if he missed the deadline because of my graduation? I don't want his clients to make a big fuss over it.

Now, don't tell me this: I'm sure your dad can take few days off. It's just few days. After all, family is more important.

It doesn't apply in this case. I've seen how busy my Dad is in the months of June and July. July is the worst month for him. He's not a workaholic but in July, he has to sacrifise everything, including after-dinner family time with the family. He looks extremely stressed in July. I can see it in his face. I can feel when he's stressed.

I guess my dream may not come true this time, but there's always next time (I hope). Hopefully the next graduation will not be in July.