« Home | The Long Journey Back Home » | 23 hours and 53 minutes to go » | Count Down » | The Ideal Sunday » | The blurred future » | Hand-picked berries » | Graduation Pictures! » | The Fight » | A Night Before Graduation » | Mom's Visit to UK »

Dato'. So what?

This happened when I was on the KL-KB flight.

I went in pretty early and sat on my seat- 5D. I looked at the people as I waited for the plane to take off. Suddenly, I spotted this man. I know him because he's a family friend of mine and he's also a well-known property developer in KB. I was surprised to see him because a man like him normally flies Business Class. He is well known (at least, in my family) as a man who places his pride over everything else. As he walked to his seat, 2 seats away from me, I called him Dato' but he didn't hear me. Fine.

Before take off, he called the air-steward.
Dato': Bang, bang. Oi, bang.
When the air stewart turned around, Dato' handed him his hand luggage and thanked him.

I was trying to catch a wink when I heard more interesting conversation, in Kelantan dialect. The Dato' was talking to the lady sitting in between both of us.
D: Waiting list, waiting list.
L: (no response)
D: I booked in front (Business class) but fully booked. I was supposed to go home tomorrow but finished work today.
L: (quiet)
D: Where are you working?
L: Hotel.
D: You don't know me? I'm Dato' XXX (name of his company. The Kelantanse call him like that)
L: Ohh... heard of your name but don't know you in person.
D: Lots of project, deh.
L: yaya.

Silence...

We finally touched down. I took my hand luggage and let the other passengers who were queuing up go first. The Dato' got impatient. I heard him saying 'Oi, go lah, ki leh (go lah, in Hokkien).

I turned back, looked at him and said 'Tan seng leh' (wait first ler) and walked off.

I was surprised at how rude I was. But then again, if he didn't respect me, why should I respect him? so what if you're a Dato'? You're still a human being, just like all of us.

As I walking out to the terminal building, I heard him telling people 'Waiting list, waiting list'.

So what if a Dato' flies Economy Class? Is that a disgrace? I don't think so.