« Home | Kurismasu lights » | Celebrating Christmas the Deutsch Way! » | On Tanterhooks » | When Routine Isn't Routine Anymore » | It's amazing I'm still alive » | I feel sooo dead now » | Lilies at full bloom » | Have you ever... » | Surprise » | 二十三岁前夕 »

5 Days to Christmas


5 days to Christmas. How do you feel?
Christmas doesn't mean much to me because we never celebrated Christmas at home.
This is my 5th Christmas abroad.

My first Christmas was in Japan, back in year 1999. It was a house party hosted by my host parents.

And the second Christmas abroad was in 2002. I spent that Christmas in Coleraine. I was really looking forward to it. I travelled by myself to Coleraine. I took a train to Holyhead, took the Ferry to Dun Laoghair (sp?), took the train to Belfast and another train to Coleraine. Brian picked me up from the train station. I think it took me about 6 hours to get to Coleraine. I had no idea how Brian and family celebrated Christmas and I thought it was a huge occassion with loads of preparations to do the night before. But I was wrong. It was all quiet. Silent Night. On Christmas Day, Brian and family brought me to BushMills Inn (Does it ring a bell, LB?) for Christmas dinner with Brian's brother's family and Nana. Joan's sister and her family came over. Everybody was excited to meet me because yellow I was 'representing' Daddy. Daddy used to spend Xmas with the family when he was in Ireland years ago. On Boxing Day, Joan cooked lunch and invited Adam's girlfriend over for lunch. That was it. I was there for 6 days and I was dying to get out of Northern Ireland!

The third Christmas was unpleasant. Joan and Brian separated so I stayed with Nana in Tobermore. Adam, Brian's son was diagnosed with Acute TB. Sigh! This time round, I took Easyjet to Belfast and it took a mere 50 minutes! Brian brought us to The Lodge for Christmas dinner. A family friend of Brian joined us as well. Over dinner, I was talking to Aiden since he was sitting opposite me. Aiden was a smooth talker who tricked me into telling him what alcohol I liked. He bought me one alcopop after another. He was smart though- he paid the waiter to bring the drinks to me while he went out to get his dose of nicotine. He wanted to bring me out for drinks in the evening but I declined because Nana wouldn't allow but he went on and on and on so I just said yes to shut him up. But I knew we wouldn't meet up because Nana wouldn't allow me to go out anyway. He was ultra nice to me after that. He waited for me to get my food, took my plate away when I was done eating. He became bolder too. He said we should go to Adam's house party and spend a night there and have sex. I told him straight on his face that I wouldn't do it. Then he got the message. I avoided him after that but before I left, he said to me "I hope I'll get to fuck you next time." That Son of a... No, that jerk. If he weren't Brian's friend and his Dad weren't Nana's friend I would have given him a tight slap. Oh, did I tell you he was 20 over years older than me? I never looked at Christmas the same way again.

The following Christmas, Joan and Brian reconciled but Joan was diagnosed with cancer. I decided not to spend Christmas with them because I would create more trouble. Besides, I was haunted by 'that' experience. I told Dad about the bad news and he agreed I shouldn't spend xmas there. Phew! I spend this Christmas in Bangor. A quiet one.

Last year, I spent Christmas day watching telly. Wahey! Must be the winter blues, I tell you.

And this year, I'm actually in a Christmas mood already. I downloaded some nice Christmas carols a while ago. I put on my earphone and started writing Christmas cards. =) I have no idea how my Christmas will be like but I know I'll be spending Christmas in Berlin, with the boyfriend AND HIS FAMILY! I've bought his mum and granny presents but not his siblings because I have no idea what to get for them! I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. 5 more days to go, 3 more days till I see him again. I need a bear hug from him!!

Tell me about your Christmas, will you? =)

Stay tuned for the "meet the family" posts. Or maybe not. :P

Labels: ,

those Chrissy cards look so nice!

my Christmasses aren't anything to shout about, since my family and I don't celebrate it. with the exception of visiting another aunt for some home-cooked dinner, if she chooses to have a "do". if not, it's at home or out walking about. this year? it's gonna be a blast! going on a trip to Sg, whee!!

have fun at your Christmas gathering with the BF & Co!

HUGS!

Bushmills Inn in Coleraine? No, I have no recollection.. I didn't drink much when I was studying in Coleraine.. not during Sixth Form anyway. That came a couple of years later, in Belfast!!! *grin* Waaaaa... Perhaps your Dad and me were school mates!

Enjoy your Meet the Parents!!! Ho Ho HO!!!

wishing u the bestest christmas this year then :P

Post a Comment