« Home | A game of Love, Hate, Like, Friendship » | A loner, I am » | Why Eileen? » | Love Vs Money » | Char Siew Pau craving » | Boy, Rest in peace » | Dear Spring » | Food Food Food » | To Sir, with love » | Boring accountants? »

An adventure...

...With the yeast!

I started baking when I was 15. I was form 3 then. My first experiment was with cornflake cookies. The verdict? Extremely sweet. Icks!! Nevermind, I told myself. I tried again and I succeeded! Bravo! Then, I decided to be more adventurous. I got my hands on baking bread when I was in Form 4 but I failed. They tasted horrible but my family ate them anyway. :P Since then, I stopped baking bread but continued with cakes, cookies and muffins which were almost fool proof.

Last week, I bought a box of yeast to make Char Siew Pau. There were 8 sachets and I only used 2. 6 left in the box... what should I do? Baking bread would be nice. On top of that, I can also prove to myself that I can bake bread afterall.

So there I was, on an adventure with the yeast this afternoon. I was armed with bread flour, egg, buttery water, yeast, sugar and salt. Mixed everything together and left it to rise. It took about 2 hours.

A couple of hours later, I found myself shaping gooey dough with a rolling pin. Man, that was one tough job. I thought making Char Siew Pau and dumplings were tough but this was even tougher! Every now and then I had to flour the rolling pin and the table. Decided to use hotdogs and mozzarella as fillings for the first batch. I wanted to braid the dough but, me being me, failed to do so. I messed everything up so I made them into rolls. *sigh* There went my first batch. I was sceptical about my second batch. So, to play safe, I decided to make more rolls. Suddenly, I had a light bulb in my head. I figured out how to braid. I made 2 mini ones and I succeeded! hehe ;)

The texture of the bread was fluffy when they came out fresh from the oven. (No idea how the texture is after few hours) My housemate told me it tastes like the ones in the bakery shop in China. I have no idea if she was pulling my leg. I tasted one and thought... Not too bad. Definitely can't beat those in the bakery shop but it certainly was better than the ones I baked 6 years ago. I'm glad all of them turned out nice. *Phew* Thank God! Well worth the time spent. :)

Here's a picture. Well, I took a picture of 4 which look nicer compared to the rest. *blush blush*
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
You be the judge. :)

Hmm... What's for next week? I've caught the baking bug. My hands itch every Saturday.