« Home | Love Vs Money » | Char Siew Pau craving » | Boy, Rest in peace » | Dear Spring » | Food Food Food » | To Sir, with love » | Boring accountants? » | The cloud that I can never catch... » | Badminton tournament? » | A quiet CNY »

Why Eileen?

I never got to know why my Dad named me Eileen until I was about 14 or 15.

That day, I was at my aunt's shop. While cooking, my aunt told me why my Dad chose this name...

My dad came from a very poor family. His eldest brother quit school at the age of 12 to work so he could support his family. After my Dad finished his A-levels, he went to Northern Ireland to further his studies. Before he left home, his sister told him not to marry an ang moh. One day, my Dad decided to be cheeky. He wrote a letter to his sister and attached a picture of him and an Irish lady in a wedding gown. No prizes for guessing what that lady's name is. He told his sister that Eileen is his wife. After he sent that letter, he sent another letter to my aunt saying that he was joking. My aunt told me that she cried and was so frustrated when she read the first letter but was relieved when the second letter came along.

After my Mom gave birth to me, my Dad couldn't think of a name so he consulted his sister and guess what my aunt told him. 'Since you like Eileen so much, why don't you just name your daughter Eileen?' And my Dad adopted her idea.

My brother is the only child with a chinese name because my parents followed the ancestral name. My sis and I don't have a chinese name. My parents translated our English name to Chinese. :)

Allow me to digress. I finally saw snow today! It snowed for about half an hour. Unfortunately it didn't settle because the gound was too wet. Too bad. But I managed to catch this picture though.


Just a little bit of snow...

Pardon me for being a jakun. I haven't built my snowman this year. ;)