« Home | Char Siew Pau craving » | Boy, Rest in peace » | Dear Spring » | Food Food Food » | To Sir, with love » | Boring accountants? » | The cloud that I can never catch... » | Badminton tournament? » | A quiet CNY » | Dumplings »

Love Vs Money

A friend of mine who is in a relationship told me his dilemma one day. I turned into a relationship counsellor that afternoon. ;)

A 32 year old guy met a 29 year old young lady. They have been going out for a few months. They share the same interests. But, he thinks he's not good enough for her- She comes from a rich family but he has nothing (He told me so) and he claimed he's not good looking enough. Looks doesn't matter much but what's actually bugging him is the money problem.

I pondered for a moment and I told him not to worry. As long as he is hardworking, it's not a problem at all. Afterall, he has a stable job, a car and an apartment. If the girl loves him, she won't care if he's rich or poor. I think he is just not confident enough. I asked if he has met her parents-maybe the way her parents treat him can tell if they approve the relationship. But he has yet to meet them since love has just bloomed.

After he went offline, I thought about it. Is money really important in a relationship? In today's society, do we still think the rich should marry the rich and the poor should only marry the poor? Should the guy be richer than the woman?

I know money is not everything but everything is money- but if two of them really love each other, should the woman marry the guy although he's not as rich as her family? What if her parents do not support them, should they continue the relationship?

My mom is extremely particular with the guys I date. If I were to have a boyfriend, he must be compatible. She won't settle for anybody who is imcompatible with me. I have zero idea of her concept of compatibility. Probably she wants somebody smarter than me, someone who comes from a good family background. But 'good' is so subjective. She disapproved ALL my past relationships. I admit that I was slightly shaken when she told me that my ex wasn't the right one for me. I contemplated a break up and I finally broke up with him. One of the reasons for breaking up was because of my Mom but the main reason was I did not love him anymore- too many things contributed to it. But when we were pak-tor-ing, it was so difficult for us to meet up. I found 1001 excuses to sneak out from the house.

Is a marriage and a relationship between two person or more than that- the families? I'm confused. One moment, I think I don't have to care what other people say, one moment, I think it's not merely between the couple. So much so for fickle mindedness.

Love and money.. which is more important? 有情喝水饱?